Saturday 29 November 2008

The "Gardening with God" series of books: an introduction

The first book in the series, with the subtitle Light in Darkness' was published in Advent 2002. By way of brief introduction to its inspiration and format I quote from the book's back 'blurb'.

" 'For as long as I can remember,' Jane Mossendew writes, 'prayer and gardening have been mutually supportive.' Her experience in both, matured over the years in gardens in Devon and France and was tested in a time of 'exile' whilst living in London....
There is a long association between the joy of gardening and the spiritual life. Tthis relationship is explored here with a meditation on one - occasionally more - plants per day, from Advent to Shrove Tuesday and the Solemnities and Saints' days of this period.....
Each day's plant is presented with cultivation notes and a fascinating glimpse into its history and lore, followed by a 'towards meditation' section, the themes of which are deepened by suggested readings from the liturgy of the day. Lastly there are intercessions, and to help busy modern Christians keep in touch with God at the workplace, a biblical 'place of spiritual retreat' is recommended."

My liturgical sources were mainly the 'new' Mass and Office. Had I chosen to work from the 1962 liturgical books, it would have been even more difficult, if not impossible, to find a publisher! That said, I trust readers will find the spirit of my work 'Benedictine' in both the historical and currently Papal senses of that word.

Throughout Advent and Christmastide I hope to reproduce daily extracts on this blog and to welcome visitors from my other blogs including the one I share with Mark Miles, the recently launched 'In the Sight of Angels'. In the meantime my prayers and best wishes for a fruitful and holy Advent to all my readers.

No comments: